Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha Piano pedal mechanism

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:09:15 +1000, Sylvia Else
wrote:

Ummm... thanks for not calling it a rheostat.

Why on Earth would I do that?

Because it really is a rheostat. Officially, if there are three wires
involved, it a potentiometer. If there are only two, it's rheostat.
Since my FC-4 has only two connection on the phone jack, it's a
rheostat. However, the internal variable resistors in the non-optical
pedal mechanisms I've seen, use 3 wires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
Unfortunately, just about everyone uses these terms interchangeably.

It's the sustaining pedal on a 7 year old CLP-970. The sensor looks for
all the world like a pot.

http://music.yamaha.com/products/main.html?productId=109
Release data is Jan 1, 2000 which makes it at the bitter edge of when
Yamaha started using optical pedal mechanisms. It doesn't specify the
pedal mechanism, but only says "Half pedal effect (Right)" which makes
me wonder why they bothered to use a pot instead of two switches.

Fortunately, the CLP-970 is heavy enough to require two people to lift,
so there's no problem of its moving around.

Well, yeah. The pedals are part of the cabinet.

I'm rather surprised that you opted to get the original part from
Yamaha. Potentiometers are fairly generic and available. If you have
the old part, try to determine the taper (linear, log, audio, weird,
etc), and the value of the pot with an ohms-guesser. Also the shaft
type. Then go shopping online for a suitable replacement. If you
need help, do some measuring and supply a photo.