Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:57:53 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Winston wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"stan" wrote

But number of times have been asked to assist people assemble some
items, who don't even have a hammer or screwdriver in the house! So
one ends up using a dinner knife to take out a screw or going home
to get one's own tools!
==================

Yep, I was part of a business startup once. A bunch of guys in
newly rented offices. And I brought some tools in a crate in case
they were needed. I suddenly became the local tool store and
general fix it wizard. My qualifications?? I actually owned some
tools and brought them to work! It was a constant battle to get
the tools back. Everyone wanted to use the tools, but nobody wanted
to give them back.

Been there done that, lost the screwdriver.

I worked at a computer manufacturer under contract.
I finally put a stop to tool theft by buying each
of the engineers a small tool kit with all the
essentials for servicing 'our' model of computer.

That was the smartest 500 bucks I ever spent because
It stopped the chronic interruptions and freed up
the time I spent looking for tools that had gone
walkabout.

--Winston

I've probably shared this story on here before- one summer, as a kid,
I was stuck with the duty of being the key-keeper for the tool crib on
a apartment complex construction site. 'Borrowed' tools never seemed
to come back. After about the 3rd time replacing missing shovels,
chains, 12-lb sledges, and such, the next time I made a run to the
supply house, I also got a couple cans of dayglo pink spray paint,
like they mark pipe locations with. I put big splashes of pink on all
the tools, and the MIA rate went WAY down. It also made it a lot
easier to spot orphan tools left laying around the site by the casual
labor temp crews, most of who vanished after their first payday.

I may be a lazy slob of questionable ethics, but I always return
borrowed tools, and if I lose it or break it, I replace it. Too bad my
office mates aren't like that. I only take cheap tools in there, to
keep in the briefcase under the cubicle 'desk'.

I put a circle of red and a circle of green on the handle of my tools.
People on the job got used to seeing those colors, and I would get
tools back from the honest people.

People from other trades even knew who they belonged to.

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT! Expect a visit from the Possum Van.