Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
clot clot is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

aemeijers wrote:
Winston wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"stan" wrote

But number of times have been asked to assist people assemble some
items, who don't even have a hammer or screwdriver in the house! So
one ends up using a dinner knife to take out a screw or going home
to get one's own tools!
==================

I've probably shared this story on here before- one summer, as a kid,
I was stuck with the duty of being the key-keeper for the tool crib
on a apartment complex construction site. 'Borrowed' tools never
seemed to come back. After about the 3rd time replacing missing
shovels, chains, 12-lb sledges, and such, the next time I made a run
to the supply house, I also got a couple cans of dayglo pink spray
paint, like they mark pipe locations with. I put big splashes of pink
on all the tools, and the MIA rate went WAY down. It also made it a
lot easier to spot orphan tools left laying around the site by the
casual labor temp crews, most of who vanished after their first
payday.
I may be a lazy slob of questionable ethics, but I always return
borrowed tools, and if I lose it or break it, I replace it. Too bad my
office mates aren't like that. I only take cheap tools in there, to
keep in the briefcase under the cubicle 'desk'.

Different context, but one day many moons ago, folk in my office were
horrified when I deliberately use a coin to destroy the paint on a stapler I
had recieved that day. I kept it in use in the office until it broke about
19 years later!

Remember Tippex? I used that to similar good effect.