Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

On 2009-08-25, Metspitzer wrote:

I worked for Watts Bar nuclear plant back in the 80s. A common saying
on the job was........The government pays TVA to build the plant, and
pays the NRC to make sure they can't do it.

The thing that scared the crap outta me was an episode on 60 Minutes
investigating NRC inspections of powerplant construction, specifically
the containment vessels for the nuclear material, the heart of the
plant. They interviewed more than one inspector who, years after the
fact, admitted to passing sub-standard construction under not so
genteel persuasion by shady unions. The ol' "we know where your
family lives" kinda thing. No telling how many currently operating
plants (do we still have any?) are iffy. A good example of the shaky
nuclear power plant industry in this country is Rancho Seco in N CA.
The China Syndrome was not bogus science fiction.

Funny we should make fun of France, for they have an excellent nuclear
energy record and actually export energy to other countries. "Freedom
Fries", my ass.

nb