Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:28:32 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Well, in fairness, Berzerkely did give us BSD Unix ... sort of ...
with the help of the best and brightest from the then Bell Labs crowd.
This ultimately gave us TCP/IP and the internet. The irony is that
this was funded by ARPA - the research arm of the Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil
government military technocrats. I wonder how many of the smelly
hippies stumbling against the cause of the day realized that their CS
department was building a technology infrastructure designed to be
survivable (by the military) in the face of nuclear exchange.

I used to giggle as I drove past the Berkeley city limits signs that said "A
nuclear free zone." to eat lunch on top of a nuclear reactor. The reactor is
gone now, replaced by the new CS department building.

The giggle on the government is that ARPA funded a network that could survive a
nuclear exchange as well as attempts by any government to control it.

A minor nit pick is that TCP/IP predated BSD Unix by a few years. BSD Unix
certainly helped with TCP/IP domination of computer communication.

-- Doug

I worked for Watts Bar nuclear plant back in the 80s. A common saying
on the job was........The government pays TVA to build the plant, and
pays the NRC to make sure they can't do it.