Posted to seattle.general,alt.dumpster,alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
ransley ransley is offline

Default Seattle Bag Tax

On Aug 24, 10:50*pm, squirltop wrote:
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Although I live just outside Seattle, the bag tax issue caught my
attention.

For years, since plastic grocery bags became available, I've used them
(after hauling groceries home in them) as garbage can liners. They work
much better than paper grocery bags (if one must throw out something wet
and sloppy) and most of them are biodegradable (where the plastic trash
bags are not). As a result, I haven't bought plastic trash bags for
years. And that's not just me, but quite a few people I know do the
same.

So, I got thinking: If I had to pay a bag tax, and was eventually
persuaded to bring my own reusable grocery bags, I'd have to start
buying trash bags again. So, I got to wondering: Who stands to gain if
the public shifts from reusing grocery bags to buying trash can liners?

Where do companies like Glad stand on this issue?

--
Paul Hovnanian * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Etaoin Shrdlu

Interesting, we reuse trash bags and don't use them in the garage
trash. If something will smell just toss it in a grocery bag and put
it in the freezer. Would use reusable canvas bags and all but never
really know how much we will get at the store- Hide quoted text -

Good idea, put those dead squirrels, rabbits and dog turds in the
freezer, maybe some drunk guest will think its a snack and eat it.