Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Taping the bathroom under remodeling

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Mike Alternate wrote:
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape
inside the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

The tape used is the least factor to be concerned with. Is he using
FibaTape Mold-x10 over drywall in the shower? OR is he using it over
cement board?

My personal opinion, after seeing so many problems and failures, is that
any gypsum based product, even if it is rated for shower use, will
probably fail or cause problems in time.

The OP already said the shower is CEMENT board with mesh tape....It's the
use of paper tape in the rest of the bathroom he is concerned about molding
for some reason that's beyond me , given the sheetrock is covered with
paper....The contractor is doing it right....