Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taping the bathroom under remodeling

My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside
the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 11:39*pm, Mike Alternate wrote:
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside
the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

Quit annoying the contractor
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 05:04:45 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Aug 22, 11:39Â*pm, Mike Alternate wrote:
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside
the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

Quit annoying the contractor

No, keep him honest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Alternate" wrote in message
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside
the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside of
the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be used
inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

*If the shower stall is lined with cement board then fiberglass tape and
thinset is correct. If it is drywall then nothing will help.

Why don't you just ask him why he is doing it that way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Alternate" wrote in message
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the shower
stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside of
the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be used
inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

*If the shower stall is lined with cement board then fiberglass tape and
thinset is correct. If it is drywall then nothing will help.

Why don't you just ask him why he is doing it that way?

A good portion of the shower stall is lined with cement board but some
"less exposed" ones areas are lined with Sheetrock, like the rest of
the bathroom. But I am wondering if using a paper-based tape anywhere
in the bathroom is a good idea, especially on the untiled (painted)
wall on the side of the sink?

I decided to post my question here after the contractor said there is
no point to set the max temperature limitation on the valve. It was a
red flag to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Alternate wrote:
[...]

The surface of sheet rock is paper. Why worry about paper tape?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:39:00 -0500, Mike Alternate
wrote:

My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside
the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

Maybe, but probably not. Some use paper tape everywhere. Use a
quality kitchen/bathroom primer and paint with mildewcide added and
you will be good to go 20 years provided your bath has adequate
ventilation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Alternate" wrote in message
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside
the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside of
the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be used
inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

He is doing it right..

If you wanted a mold resistant room you could/should have requested
paperless sheetrock , mold resistant mest tape and USG Durabond and Easysand
Joint Compound for the whole room UP FRONT...Mold really doesn't like the
setting type compounds for some reason....The ENTIRE wall gets mudded like
you'ld do when plastering because the the sheetrock has a fiberglass face
and is VERY rough....It isVERY expensive and I've only done it a few times
all of which were indoor spas or lap pool rooms...In short your being a
PITA..... ; ) .....Use your exhaust fan and you will be fine...Opening the
window helps as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Mike Alternate wrote:
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape
inside the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

The tape used is the least factor to be concerned with. Is he using FibaTape
Mold-x10 over drywall in the shower? OR is he using it over cement board?

My personal opinion, after seeing so many problems and failures, is that any
gypsum based product, even if it is rated for shower use, will probably fail
or cause problems in time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 10:56*am, Mike Alternate wrote:
[...]

red flag to me.- Hide quoted text -

I decided to post my question here after the contractor said there
is no point to set the max temperature limitation on the valve. It was
a red flag to me.

I didn't set the max temp for either of my 2 showers. My "kids" are
old enough that scolding is not a concern and I don't want to be
limited to a certain range for those times when I'm trying to eke the
last drop of hot water out of my tank.

Just like asking him *why* he's using 2 different types of tape, did
you ask him *why* he said there was no point is setting the max temp
on the valve? If he has a valid reason, then maybe you can lower that
red flag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Mike Alternate wrote:
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the
shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape
inside the stall.

While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still good only for outside
of the shower stall, and a more advanced FibaTape Mold-X10 should be
used inside?

Or would it be years (if ever) until I see the difference?

The tape used is the least factor to be concerned with. Is he using
FibaTape Mold-x10 over drywall in the shower? OR is he using it over
cement board?

My personal opinion, after seeing so many problems and failures, is that
any gypsum based product, even if it is rated for shower use, will
probably fail or cause problems in time.

The OP already said the shower is CEMENT board with mesh tape....It's the
use of paper tape in the rest of the bathroom he is concerned about molding
for some reason that's beyond me , given the sheetrock is covered with
paper....The contractor is doing it right....