Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Step Lights

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step
lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to
the front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall
concrete "block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in
the front of these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

I'm surmising that those are aluminum housings and did not mate well
with the masonry and moisture. Halo makes step lights and there are
probably other brands as well. I think that I have also seen them in
low voltage which might be an easier retrofit in your case.

Is the wiring in conduit?

Wirings are in metal conduit inside the concrete, once they exit into the
cavity then it's just the wires.

I have removed the housing and everything and put a nut on each wire,
then taped over them and push them back into the cavity. There are two
wires that comes into that wall cavity one white one yellow both of them
are solid copper wire not stranded.

*Since the wiring is in concrete embedded conduit it will be difficult to
install a different brand unless the knockouts line up with the existing
conduit. I think that I would pursue the installation of the same lights
because that would be easiest. The manufacturer may have changed the
design to make the new ones more lasting. Of course there is the
possibility that your lights are no longer manufactured.

The light that I removed has no markings or labels. It must have been in
there for the same duration as the original building which would make it 38
years. The metal literally disintegrated as I pry it out.

I went to HD to look at some step lights and all I saw was low voltage ones,
the guy at HD told me they don't sell any that is line voltage. I'll
continue to google.

The wall cavity measures 10" W x 5" H x 3-7/8" D.

Thanks,

MC