Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Step Lights

I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall concrete
"block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in the front of
these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am sorry for some reason it got posted prematurely. Here is the complete
post:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall concrete
"block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in the front of
these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

The wire came out of the top corner.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020938.jpg

My question is are these lights standard? Is it easy to find a replacement?

I am not sure which part is part of the light itself, and which part is part
of what someone might have attached to the recessed cavity to anchor the
light on to.

Is the best thing to do is to find a smaller version of this, install it
into the cavity and fill the seam with concrete? or fill the entire cavity
with concrete and attach two surface mount wall lights?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall concrete
"block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in the front of
these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

They are step lights and they're toast now. Very typical for step lights in
masonry. There are some companies that make the housings out of plastic
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
[...]

You could possibly fit smaller units in the cavity, and if you do, I'd
certainly try to find plastic ones, or the same conditions that rotted those
will do the same to new ones

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall concrete
"block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in the front of
these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

I'm surmising that those are aluminum housings and did not mate well with
the masonry and moisture. Halo makes step lights and there are probably
other brands as well. I think that I have also seen them in low voltage
which might be an easier retrofit in your case.

Is the wiring in conduit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
[...]

Wirings are in metal conduit inside the concrete, once they exit into the
cavity then it's just the wires.

I have removed the housing and everything and put a nut on each wire, then
taped over them and push them back into the cavity. There are two wires
that comes into that wall cavity one white one yellow both of them are solid
copper wire not stranded.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
[...]

Pry as much of one out of the concrete as you can, take and print more
closeup pictures (with a ruler in the picture) of the part you can't get
out, and take the loose parts and pictures to a real electrical/lighting
supply house (not a big-box). Tell them you want as close to a plug-in
replacement as you can find. It looks pretty vanilla, but as leaky as
that old housing looks, it may be worth the bother to chip it out of
there and re-do the stucco around it. Those piles look to be brick
inside, by the way.

Back in the stone age, we always called them walkway down-lights. These
days, they probably have long-life LED replacements.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step
lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to
the front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall
[...]

*Since the wiring is in concrete embedded conduit it will be difficult to
install a different brand unless the knockouts line up with the existing
conduit. I think that I would pursue the installation of the same lights
because that would be easiest. The manufacturer may have changed the design
to make the new ones more lasting. Of course there is the possibility that
your lights are no longer manufactured.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step
lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to
the front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall
concrete "block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in
the front of these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

On Google, using the search term: recessed exterior wall lighting

I found a couple that looked similar.

I agree with John that going back with the closet match is your best option.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:23:43 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

closet match?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step
lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to
[...]

The light that I removed has no markings or labels. It must have been in
there for the same duration as the original building which would make it 38
years. The metal literally disintegrated as I pry it out.

I went to HD to look at some step lights and all I saw was low voltage ones,
the guy at HD told me they don't sell any that is line voltage. I'll
continue to google.

The wall cavity measures 10" W x 5" H x 3-7/8" D.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step
lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to
[...]

Forget HD and the other big-boxes. You need a real electrical supply
house, the kind where builders and decorators go. A light like you had
would probably considered a commercial-use item.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I am not sure what these are called. *I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
[...]

I think with the right kind of glass in front, it might not matter too
much how finished the inside of the cavity is. You can probably find
glass that diffuses the light and hides what's back there pretty
well. A glass shop, or a stained-glass supply shop would be able to
cut pieces to fit your frame. == H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
[...]

I'm no electrician - just wife of the condo building manager who has
helped with lots of repairs. I would install a suitable fixture that
fits in the space - can't imagine why you would want to fill the cavity
with concrete. Either a glass or louvered cover would seem to fit
nicely - get one that covers the hole and fuggedabbodit. We made a
number of repairs to our condo stucco and concrete block exterior using
latex stucco patching compound - available sanded or unsanded and is
paintable. For perfectionists (like me) it could be used to fill in the
pattern on your wall - a little practice and you won't be able to tell
it has been patched. We took out an old, rusty and broken fire
extinguisher cabinet. Used concrete pavers and stucco patch to fix the
hole in the wall - even used the stucco patch as "mortar" for the
pavers. It shrinks a bit, so have to let each appl. cure well, but it
is a whole lot easier than a bag of concrete. The stucco patch is
pretty easy to texture when partially cured, using tough bristled brush
or whatever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step
lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to
[...]

I went to an electrical supply house but they don't stock stuff like this
and it's all catalog special order stuff.

So I went online instead and found this:

http://www.1stoplighting.com/shoppin...&kw=ppc-Dabmar

which is smaller than the original one I have but should work. I just need
to fill the extra room with mortar, I guess.