Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Electrical circuit problem - help!

On Aug 23, 3:42*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:17:43 -0700, David Nebenzahl

wrote:
On 8/23/2009 7:33 AM stavros spake thus:

Last night a circuit breaker tripped. *On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. *I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. *The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. *I've never seen this behavior before. *What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? *Thanks in advance!

Hard to diagnose at a distance, not knowing all the details of your
place. Several possibilities:

o There's another breaker somewhere in that circuit controlling the
devices that are still out. Strange, shouldn't be there, but anything is
possible.

o There's a break in the wiring ahead of the devices that are still out,
or an intermittent connection. Unlikely unless there are accompanying
sizzling and popping sounds (arcing). Potentially dangerous.

o There'a a GFCI outlet somewhere in the chain that's tripped, with the
other devices that are still out downstream of it.

More details?

Gee. *A back stabbed outlet failed.
Surprising. *No?

Yes it's surprising. All of the production home builders swear by
those profit increasing, er I mean, price reducing innovations. They
could not possibly have anything in mind but the customers best
interest could they. UL labs have certified that they are very
unlikely to burn your home down or kill you by electrocution. Why
isn't that enough for you? You don't mean you actually expect the
receptacle to be suitable for its intended use in addition to all of
those wonderful features do you. What are you some kind of
Communist? Man oh man some people are never satisfied! You say you
can deliver 100,000 board feet of lumber for five cents less. Who do
I have to assassinate?
--
Tom Horne