Posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.electronics,alt.electronics.analog
[email protected] Daniel47@teranews.com is offline

Default Is this what they called it a Hybrid Capacitor?

Geoffrey wrote:
Dont listen to words.
Get a cap meter and measure it yourself.
Then you will know for sure.

But please tell me this ...

If you put two capacitors in series,
Then do you get 180deg of phase shift across them
both or do you simply get 90 degrees
like in a single capacitor ???

I would like to build a filter but can
not find an exact value 1/2 of what I got
so I want to put two in series but since this
filter relies on phase shift will putting
two in series to get the right value
mess up the needed phase shift of 90 degrees.

Regards,
ELI the ICE Man
(p.s.)Voltage leads current by 90 deg in an inductor.
Current leads Voltage in a capacitor by 100 grads.

When you put two capacitors in series, the total circuit capacitance can
be calculated by:-

1/CT = 1/C1 + 1/C2

i.e. invert the value of each capacitor, add these values then invert again.

Effectively, by putting the two capacitors in series, you are increasing
the distance between the capacitors plates.

Phase shifting will still be the same, as phase shift is not due to the
capacitor alone, but in the capacitor and the circuit resistance.

Daniel