Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default easy rougher tool

There are different grades of nano grain carbide out there, and the
stuff most commonly found, for $2 to $4 isn't the same as the carbide
on the Easy Rougher, Hunter or Eliminator tools. I do agree that $15
to $20 for replacements is a rip off. When some one finally does find
their source, prices will drop. The carbide tips on my turning tools
is a lot finer than what is on my saw blades.
robo hippy

On Aug 23, 5:53*pm, "CW" wrote:
"robo hippy" wrote in message

*The carbide tips
on the Easy Rougher can not be resharpened in most home shops, and
maybe not in any shop.

$40.00 for a grinding wheel and you're in buisiness.

Our diamond hones won't do enough to resharpen
them.

True.

It uses a micro/nano grain carbide which is much finer than the
stuff your saw blade teeth are made out of.

Not true. Some manufactures make a big deal about their carbide being "micro
grain/nanograin" *when the fact is that all carbide manufactured for cutting
tools is "micro grain" these days. The old stuff was pretty bad and I
haven't seen that in 20 years.

There are inserts you can
find, but I don't think they are the same carbide.

Chances are they are better. These things were meant for cutting metal. Wood
cuts like butter in comparison. The $16.00 they want for new inserts for the
Easy Rougher is a rip off. Go to anyplace that sells machine shop supplies,
find an insert that fits (don't worry about grade, any grade will cut wood
just fine) and you should be able to get them for $2.00 to 4.00 each.