Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Tiny toilet leak

On Aug 23, 4:50*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Willie The Wimp wrote:
Old American Standard toilet from around 1954. Has some Fluidmaster
components in it.

It works OK but about 4 times/day it pumps maybe an additional gallon
of water in, so it has a slow leak.

I checked the stopper and it's apertu both look fine, but I spread
a little vaseline on both to help insure seal. No help. Overflow tube,
etc look OK.

Visual inspection looks OK but it leaks. Any ideas?

* Thx,
* Willie

Put some dye in it to help you see exactly where it's leaking.

TDD

We had one toilet flapper looked fine but it had somehow crinkled or
got worn one side and leaked a little bit.
Sometimes good idea to keep a spare valve assembly or at least a
replacement flapper along with a spare toilet base wax seal, in the
bathroom vanity cabinet. That helps when the toilet malfunctions at
2.00 AM over a long holiday weekend, 50 miles from the nearest
hardware that 'might' be open on the morrow and 'might' (or might
not!) have a suitable replacement. So this time buy two. With luck you
'might' need the second one within ten years and you or whoever is
then involved will look like a hero!