Posted to uk.d-i-y
R[_7_] R[_7_] is offline

Default repairing a kettle

"meuharris" wrote in message
it is not an electric one - It sits on the stove and is heated by
direct contact ..So it has a very thick and flat base.It is stainless
steel and has sprung a leak where the spout joins the body.
Now I imagine that the spout was welded to the body in the
manufacturing and the leak seems to be along the seam of the join...
Now I suppose I could get it rewelded but I have no such skills or
acquaintances with those skills so it may have to be done another way.
If I put chemical metal along the seam this would need to be done
externally as the seem inside the kettle is inacessible owing to a tea
strainer like covering (you know like what you see in a tea pot to
prevent the worst of the tea leaves being pored out)
So if I am going to block up the seam on the outside I am going to
have to do it quite well (since it is stanless steel the surface is
very smooth so I might have to roughen it)

So has anyone a better idea than to put a line of chemical metal along
the seam on the outside?
As the leak only really starts when the kettle is almost half full I
have a feeling that the pressure may not be really strong and so maybe
a careful job will fix it without the need for welding or dismantling
(but I would like to use something a little better than chemical metal
if that was possible)

http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page41.htm