Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Step Lights

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am sorry for some reason it got posted prematurely. Here is the complete
post:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights.

From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the
front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide 24" tall concrete
"block". There is a pole light on top of these block, and in the front of
these blocks is a recessed rectangular light.

These lights are falling apart. The glass were broken and I pulled the
cover plate off.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

The cover plates:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020933.jpg

There is a piece inside that the two bulb sockets are attached to:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020935.jpg

If I pull the piece out the inside look like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

Closer look:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020936.jpg

The wire came out of the top corner.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P1020938.jpg

My question is are these lights standard? Is it easy to find a replacement?

I am not sure which part is part of the light itself, and which part is part
of what someone might have attached to the recessed cavity to anchor the
light on to.

Is the best thing to do is to find a smaller version of this, install it
into the cavity and fill the seam with concrete? or fill the entire cavity
with concrete and attach two surface mount wall lights?

MC

Pry as much of one out of the concrete as you can, take and print more
closeup pictures (with a ruler in the picture) of the part you can't get
out, and take the loose parts and pictures to a real electrical/lighting
supply house (not a big-box). Tell them you want as close to a plug-in
replacement as you can find. It looks pretty vanilla, but as leaky as
that old housing looks, it may be worth the bother to chip it out of
there and re-do the stucco around it. Those piles look to be brick
inside, by the way.

Back in the stone age, we always called them walkway down-lights. These
days, they probably have long-life LED replacements.

--
aem sends...