Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Feds going after garage sales

cm wrote:
"The Resale Roundup is being enforced under the Consumer Product Safety
Improvement Act, which Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed
into law last year."

Signed in by G.W. / Run amuck under Obama.

cm

Staffers for the federal agency are fanning out across the country to
conduct training seminars on the regulations at dozens of thrift shops.

"Even before this law, we had good mechanisms in place for pulling
recalled products," said Jim Gibbons, the chief executive of Goodwill.
"The law just kicks it up a notch, so Goodwills around the country will
continue to improve our process."

*****

Scott Wolfson, a spokesman for the agency, said it wouldn't be
dispatching bureaucratic storm troopers into private homes to see
whether people were selling recalled products from their garages, yards
or churches.

"We're not looking to come across as being heavy-handed," he said. "We
want to make sure that everybody knows what the rules of engagement are
to help spur greater compliance, so that enforcement becomes less of an
issue. But we're still going to enforce."

The agency is working with eBay, Wolfson said, to help the online sales
giant install software filters that will flag auction items subject to
manufacturers' recalls.

The commission's Internet surveillance unit is monitoring Craigslist and
other "top auction and reselling sites" for recalled goods. If the
agency discovers that a recalled product has been sold online, it will
try to find and inform the buyer, Wolfson said.

*****

Adele Meyer is the executive director of the National Association of
Resale and Thrift Shops, which represents more than 1,100 store owners.

"Even before it was criminal to resell recalled goods, our members have
always been diligent because children's safety is always foremost in
their minds," she said. "But having consumers look out for recalled
products that are sold at garage sales and flea markets, that is a
problem, and hopefully this law will help."