Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Lotto Ben Lotto is offline

Default Fixing garage door opener?

Get a step stool and a good light to really see what is going on.
Your down limit potentiometer may need adjustment as the closer may be
going a hair past 'closed door' position making it difficult to snap
back the manual disconnect.

I've passed the inner slide through the traveler (which I've also seen
called a carriage assembly) several times---it doesn't snap back in as
it's supposed to. The problem seems to be that a spring is out of
place inside the traveler, preventing the manual disconnect from
snapping back up into the little slot where it belongs. The spring is
now clearly visible in the small slot, which I don't remember seeing
before.