Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Fixing garage door opener?

We had a power outage yesterday so I had to use the manual disconnect
on my Stanley garage door opener. When the power came back, I tried
to reconnect it, but the part of the traveler connected to the rope
wouldn't snap back into the slot as its done in the past, and as a
result the traveler won't connect to the chair. It seems as though
some spring is broken or out of place---in fact, I can see a spring in
the slot in the traveler. I know this is a vague description, but I'm
hoping that someone could suggest a way to fix this. Even better
would be fixing it without taking the whole opener down!

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote:
We had a power outage yesterday so I had to use the manual disconnect
on my Stanley garage door opener. When the power came back, I tried
to reconnect it, but the part of the traveler connected to the rope
wouldn't snap back into the slot as its done in the past, and as a
result the traveler won't connect to the chair. It seems as though
some spring is broken or out of place---in fact, I can see a spring in
the slot in the traveler. I know this is a vague description, but I'm
hoping that someone could suggest a way to fix this. Even better
would be fixing it without taking the whole opener down!

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!!!

Get a step stool and a good light to really see what is going on.
Your down limit potentiometer may need adjustment as the closer may be
going a hair past 'closed door' position making it difficult to snap
back the manual disconnect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 7:22*am, Ben wrote:
We had a power outage yesterday so I had to use the manual disconnect
on my Stanley garage door opener. *When the power came back, I tried
to reconnect it, but the part of the traveler connected to the rope
wouldn't snap back into the slot as its done in the past, and as a
result the traveler won't connect to the chair. *It seems as though
some spring is broken or out of place---in fact, I can see a spring in
the slot in the traveler. *I know this is a vague description, but I'm
hoping that someone could suggest a way to fix this. *Even better
would be fixing it without taking the whole opener down!

Any suggestions would be very welcome. *Thanks!!!

I just run my opener a cycle and it pops back in by itself, thats what
I saw my repair guy do to it when he was working in it, my stops that
hit the switches are on my chain, I dont know how yours signals the
motor unit when and where to stop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a step stool and a good light to really see what is going on.
Your down limit potentiometer may need adjustment as the closer may be
going a hair past 'closed door' position making it difficult to snap
back the manual disconnect.

I've passed the inner slide through the traveler (which I've also seen
called a carriage assembly) several times---it doesn't snap back in as
it's supposed to. The problem seems to be that a spring is out of
place inside the traveler, preventing the manual disconnect from
snapping back up into the little slot where it belongs. The spring is
now clearly visible in the small slot, which I don't remember seeing
before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just run my opener a cycle and it pops back in by itself, thats what
I saw my repair guy do to it when he was working in it, my stops that
hit the switches are on my chain, I dont know how yours signals the
motor unit when and where to stop.

That's what's happened in the past, but not the traveler won't catch
on the inner slide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 8:55*am, Ben Lotto wrote:
I just run my opener a cycle and it pops back in by itself, thats what
I saw my repair guy do to it when he was working in it, my stops that
hit the switches are on my chain, I dont know how yours signals the
motor unit when and where to stop.

That's what's happened in the past, but not the traveler won't catch
on the inner slide.

On my Sears sometimes the thing "latches" open and won't engage the
trolley as it passes. I just jiggle the rope and it snaps in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 8:22*am, Ben wrote:
We had a power outage yesterday so I had to use the manual disconnect
on my Stanley garage door opener. *When the power came back, I tried
to reconnect it, but the part of the traveler connected to the rope
wouldn't snap back into the slot as its done in the past, and as a
result the traveler won't connect to the chair. *It seems as though
some spring is broken or out of place---in fact, I can see a spring in
the slot in the traveler. *I know this is a vague description, but I'm
hoping that someone could suggest a way to fix this. *Even better
would be fixing it without taking the whole opener down!

Any suggestions would be very welcome. *Thanks!!!

Update---there is a spring in the traveler that seems to have broken.
I pulled the darn thing around and duck taped the traveler into
position while I order a replacement. At least the door is working
again!