Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Was W this stupid?

On Aug 21, 10:39*pm, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
Many small radios back then were referred to by the cognizanti as "AC/DC
Sets". They had no power transformers in them and they used tubes with
various filament voltages like 12, 35 and 50. The typical 5 tube set
would run all the tube filaments in series from 120 volts (AC or DC, it
didn't matter which.) I can't recall whether the line cord was polarity
sensitive and had to be plugged in the "right way" to get electrons to
flow through the rectifier tube (usually a 35Z5 ?). Perhaps some antique
radio buff will check in here on that.
Jeff

Yep! I worked on many an "AC/DC" radio back in the 40s 50s.
Among all the sets I saw, none had any kind of keying on the
plug. I don't think Keyed recepticals were even invented yet
then. I never had a DC service but I'm sure if you had on
you would have known about reversing the plug if it didn't
come on.
* * ...Lew...
A PS What good is a "spell checker" see above recepticals
if the choices a

sceptically
skeptically
skeptical
aseptically
preceptively

Not a one starts with a r.
One of things I just LOVE about Bill Gates and his abominations.

Please, then, write better software. the masses will flock to your
door.