Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrolytic derusting with galvanized plates

On 8/21/2009 5:52 AM dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/20/2009 8:29 AM Ulysses spake thus:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there
a certain amount of lead involved?

Nope. Galvanizing = tin.

Nope. Galvanizing -- _Zinc_

Aaargh. Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for me ...