Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrolytic derusting with galvanized plates

Hi,

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

Thanks,

Aaron

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there a certain
amount of lead involved? I would like to suggest that you dry your table
extremely well (in an oven would be good) and give it some kind of
moisture-proof coating to help prevent the return of the rust. I did
electrolytic reduction of a heavily-encrusted boat anchor many years ago
using a stainless rod and it was spectacular, like you said. I rinsed it in
boiling water three times, dried it in an oven, and coated it with lacquer
as directed in a musem conservation book. After several years it has
developed a small amount of rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2009 8:29 AM Ulysses spake thus:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there a certain
amount of lead involved?

Nope. Galvanizing = tin.

Aaron: next time try to use steel or iron for the anode. They say that's
what you're s'pozed to use, although sometimes it's hard to find
something the right size and shape in that material.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 20, 11:09*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

Thanks,

Aaron

No idea, I usually just use scrap steel parts... but glad to hear
that it worked out OK for you. I ASSume that you oiled them
immediately...?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there a
certain
amount of lead involved?

Nope. Galvanizing = tin.

Nope. Galvanizing -- _Zinc_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization

http://www.galvanizeit.org/aga/about-hot-dip-galvanizing/what-is-hot-dip-galvanizing/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2009 5:52 AM dpb spake thus:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there
a certain amount of lead involved?

Nope. Galvanizing = tin.

Nope. Galvanizing -- _Zinc_

Aaargh. Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for me ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting

with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I

read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

I can't say about the toxic nature of galvanizing but isn't there a
certain
amount of lead involved?

Nope. Galvanizing = tin.

Nope. Galvanizing -- _Zinc_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization

http://www.galvanizeit.org/aga/about...-is-hot-dip-ga
lvanizing/

According to this site lead and other metals are sometimes added to the
"galvanizing pot."

http://www.galvanizeit.org/images/up...tle_alloys.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 11:09*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with
spectacular results.

But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the
zinc produced a toxic mixture that I should not dump carelessly. I read
that stainless steel produces toxic waste, so what about galvanized?

Thanks,

Aaron

During the cleaning process the current flow is reversed from plating
so I dont think it would mater too much what you used for an
electrode. Some old water pipe should work fine.

Jimmie