Christopher

Default Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
that's PRECISELY why I can't see how a plane can make anything truly
FLAT. A jointer wouldn't if it was set up like a plane. So what are we
missing? Or is the emperor buck naked again? g

dave

What you're saying is correct but doesn't matter in the end. I think part
of it is that your iron is just barely below the sole of the plane anyway.
If you were taking thick shavings you might have problems but it's not like
your jointer is pivoting on the iron and one end of the sole is not making
contact or anything like that. I worked some Mahogany over the weekend
starting with a #7 then working through my #5 1/4W and the #4. I laid one
piece on top of another and could only tell where the joint was by the
change in grain. It disappeared, and without any clamping force being
applied.

-Chris