Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default pipe freezing kits

On 20 Aug, 10:38, Stephen wrote:

Is it effective on hot water pipes? I have an elderly relative who
wants new taps in the kitchen. The problem is that there is no way to
isolate the hot water and I don't fancy climbing into an unlit,
unboarded loft to block the tank outlet.

assuming 1) you will freeze the pipes under the kitchen sink and
2) the house hot water cylinder is "normal" i.e. upstairs

I don;t thnk you'll have a prob freezing the "hot" pipe as the water
in it will most likely be cold (or cool) when you come to freeze it,
after it's frozen it won't thaw any faster just because the distant
end of the pipe is connected to a cylinder full of hot water.....

radical thought - tell rellies to turn hot water immersion/boiler off
last thing day before you go - they can use kettle and wait for new
taps to be fixed - and no wasted hot water!

cheers
jimK