Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Pointing

On 21 Aug, 09:57, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
.. My architect specified 'tuck' pointing and the
builders seemed to know what he meant, and had a guy who could do it
quickly making a beautiful job. It was for the walls round a previously
sloping roof converted to a roof terrace where some of them were
previously partially internal. So the entire area, which included some new
brickwork, was re-pointed to give a uniform appearance. It has the benefit
of appearing to make the poorer quality bricks originally used where they
didn't show etc look pretty good. Only other place where this type of
pointing is used is to the front of the house - the side and end walls are
done in a more simple style.

I understood tuck pointing to be where the joint is filled with a
mortar that matches the brick colour, and then a seperate thinner line
of lighter mortar is inserted into the pointing itself, to look like
the mortar course is thinner than it is (like a rubbed joint). Is
that what you mean - it's pretty fancy stuff.

I also thought the vickys went for flush (self-explanatory) or
recessed (flat mortar face, set back into the joint behind the face of
the brick) rather than strap pointing.

Strap pointing I always thought meant that horrible string vest stuff,
where the joint is proud of the brick. People seem to be referring in
this thread to what I know as weatherstruck pointing (where the
pointing slopes, recessed to brick edge at the top, and proud at the
bottom) as strap pointing.

Maybe the terminology is not set in stone, or mortar, or whatever.