Posted to alt.home.repair
Garagedoors1 Garagedoors1 is offline

Default Garage Doors

Garagedoors1 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...rs-388394-.htm :
Most manufacturers make both high quality doors as well as lower cost
doors so be sure you explore the quality of the materials during your
purchase. Things like the steel gauge of face skin and back skin, R value
and insulation type or Gauge of hinges. Consider if the manufacturer uses
off the shelf components such as C.H.I and Clopay, or if they use
proprietary systems like Wayne dalton does... If your Wayne Dalton Door
breaks, you will be limited to Wayne Dalton dealers for parts and
service... Others have parts that are interchangeable which gives you
more choices for service and parts...

Compare prices with an installing dealer before you buy from the home
improvement big box stores. You may pay extra to have them in the middle
of your purchase. Using a professional installation company makes a huge
difference from selecting the right door to having it installed properly.
The very best dealers are “IDEA accredited”. Check out
www.dooreducation.com for answers to door questions. Also see another door
industry site http://garagewownow.com.

The manufacturer sites are helpful too for making the right design and
application choice. You dealer may be able to take a digital picture of
your home and place pictures of different doors on it to show you what
different designs can do for the curb appeal of your home. It’s a neat
tool the manufacturers provide their dealers. Like trying on a new pair
of shoes before you buy them...

Warranties varies widely among manufacturers too. Your warranty is
supported by the dealer AND the manufacturer, the dealer is only as good
as the comapny behind them and for that reason I would choose a C.H.I.
door and dealer, C.H.I. Overhead Doors delivers high quality products and
C.H.I. makes it very easy for your dealer to take care of any warranty
issues.

See their web page for video on how to select your next garage door.
chiohd.com

Good luck.

rogerfisher wrote:

We are looking at 3 different garage doors for our house. This is a
replacement.

Clopay - 4050 Series
Wayne Dalton - 9600 Series
CHI - 2285 Series

What are the pros and cons of each. We want a good, sturdy insulated
door with windows. We want one that will qualify for the energy tax
credit. We know very little about garage doors and need all the help
we can get.