Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pipe freezing kits

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone used a pipe freezing kit like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2711/p38656

I've used them a few time, they do exactly what they say on the tin.

Does it come with instructions? If not, what do you do?

All mine had instructions, but basically you have a piece of pipe insulation
& a few cable ties to hold it on the pipe. The aerosol if squirted under
the insulation.

After you have finished plumbing, do you allow the pipe to thaw
naturally, or do you apply heat to speed it along?

Just leave it, takes 20 mins or so.

Is it effective on hot water pipes? I have an elderly relative who
wants new taps in the kitchen. The problem is that there is no way to
isolate the hot water and I don't fancy climbing into an unlit,
unboarded loft to block the tank outlet.

If the pipe is cold it should be OK.

Is it effective on CH pipes? Doesn't fernox do an inhibitor with
antifreeze in; would it work with that?

No idea.

You could always try the John Rumm 'work fast & get a little wet' method.
I've done that a few times as well. I'll let him describe the details :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk