Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a new Gas Water Heater

On Aug 19, 8:40*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
Here in San Diego, you can use flexible pipe for hot water, cold
water and the gas line. They require a gas turn-off valve near the
heater.
An easy DIY project if you have the strength to handle the old and new
heater.

Get a permit and get the heater inspected to make sure everything is
OK . Nowadays, most prospective buyers will also want to see the
permit. Buyers also want to see a permit for a furnace installation
or anything else that legally requires a permit, such as a room
addition. A permit does not prevent you from doing the work yourself,
except installing a gas furnace and A/C which require a licensed
contractor (environmental reasons).

Again, you paint with too broad a brush. Only in the most enlightened,
environmentally friendly climes is a permit or licensed person required.

In fly-over country, we denizens have to be more self-reliant. We even start
our Sunday fried-chicken dinner with: First, catch a chicken (not hard if
you know the tricks)...

I agree. Even here in NJ I've sold several houses and have yet to
have a buyer ask to see a permit for anything. I guess I can see it
if there is some wierd botched up looking install of a new room. But
for a water heater? Come on.