Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a new Gas Water Heater

I have a leak in my old Gas Water Heater.
I am confused because the heater is empty & was wondering why there is no
water constantly running into the Heater.
Is it safe to use a flex line instead of solid pipe to hook up the gas line.
?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

desgnr,

Best to check with your local authorities and see what the code
requires. I'd go with either solid copper or iron pipe for the gas
line and solid copper for the water connections. Based on your
confusion you might want to have a professional do it. At least get a
permit and have it inspected.

Good luck.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I have a leak in my old Gas Water Heater.
I am confused because the heater is empty & was wondering why there is
no water constantly running into the Heater.
Is it safe to use a flex line instead of solid pipe to hook up the gas
line. ?

We don't have local authorities, local code, or needed permits, thus I
replaced one with flex on both the "in" and "out" sides about one year
ago and everything has been fine.

As far as the lack of water running in goes, is the valve turned on? If
so, open a faucet somewhere and see what happens.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

I heard they stopped using copper flex, cause something in
the gas reacts with it. Black iron, it is. The code people
may permit stainless flex gas line.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dss" wrote in message
desgnr,

Best to check with your local authorities and see what the
code
requires. I'd go with either solid copper or iron pipe for
the gas
line and solid copper for the water connections. Based on
your
confusion you might want to have a professional do it. At
least get a
permit and have it inspected.

Good luck.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here in San Diego, you can use flexible pipe for hot water, cold water and
the gas line. They require a gas turn-off valve near the heater.

An easy DIY project if you have the strength to handle the old and new
heater.

Get a permit and get the heater inspected to make sure everything is OK .
Nowadays, most prospective buyers will also want to see the permit. Buyers
also want to see a permit for a furnace installation or anything else that
legally requires a permit, such as a room addition. A permit does not
prevent you from doing the work yourself, except installing a gas furnace
and A/C which require a licensed contractor (environmental reasons).

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"desgnr" wrote in message
I have a leak in my old Gas Water Heater.
I am confused because the heater is empty & was wondering why there is no
water constantly running into the Heater.
Is it safe to use a flex line instead of solid pipe to hook up the gas
line. ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Here in San Diego, you can use flexible pipe for hot water, cold
water and the gas line. They require a gas turn-off valve near the
heater.
An easy DIY project if you have the strength to handle the old and new
heater.

Get a permit and get the heater inspected to make sure everything is
OK . Nowadays, most prospective buyers will also want to see the
permit. Buyers also want to see a permit for a furnace installation
or anything else that legally requires a permit, such as a room
addition. A permit does not prevent you from doing the work yourself,
except installing a gas furnace and A/C which require a licensed
contractor (environmental reasons).

Again, you paint with too broad a brush. Only in the most enlightened,
environmentally friendly climes is a permit or licensed person required.

In fly-over country, we denizens have to be more self-reliant. We even start
our Sunday fried-chicken dinner with: First, catch a chicken (not hard if
you know the tricks)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
desgnr wrote:
I have a leak in my old Gas Water Heater.
I am confused because the heater is empty & was wondering why there
is no water constantly running into the Heater.
Is it safe to use a flex line instead of solid pipe to hook up the
gas line. ?
We don't have local authorities, local code, or needed permits, thus
I replaced one with flex on both the "in" and "out" sides about one
year ago and everything has been fine.

As far as the lack of water running in goes, is the valve turned on?
If so, open a faucet somewhere and see what happens.

Don

Hi,
Where do you live?

Well, I'm in Houston. Permits are not needed for ANYTHING done within or to
the four walls (water heater installation, circuit breaker box replacement,
wall moving, roofing, re-arranging the knick-knacks on the mantle etc.). We
also don't have zoning. The politicians leave the folk mostly alone.

We have guns.

Hi,
And Hurricanes, LOL! I have one relative lives down there. He is prof.
at Texas U.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's really funny. We have made life too complicated!

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 8:40*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I agree. Even here in NJ I've sold several houses and have yet to
have a buyer ask to see a permit for anything. I guess I can see it
if there is some wierd botched up looking install of a new room. But
for a water heater? Come on.