Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Replacing anode rods in water heaters?

"LouB" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Salmon Egg" wrote in message
While I do believe that a new anode could greatly extend life. As was
mentioned removal could be difficult. I once tried to remove an anode
from a used up heater. I was totally unsuccessful. I would be even
less ready now even if the heater were not in a confined space.
You'd really be PO'd to pull the anode rod, find it is only about
half gone, but the water heater is now damaged from the removal and
has to be replaced.

How exactly is the water heater damaged?

How many have you damaged doing this?

Note earlier posts on difficulty of getting old anode out.

Anyone that has ever pulled anything out of anything old and untouched has
risked or done damage and has a surprise or two. Broken bolts, stripped
thread, twisted connections valves that leak by, and on and on.

Example: I helped my maintenance guys today. Last Thursday the were going
to pull a basin pan out of a water cooling tower and replace it with the new
one. Figured they would do one side in a day, the second side in less time.
They are on day 5 and were fabricating more parts this morning. Side two
will go easier since we know what parts will fall apart.

I've been working around mechanical things for the past 50+ years. ****
happens.