Posted to alt.home.repair
joevan joevan is offline

Default Frig repair or buy a new one?

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:41:37 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Walter R. wrote:
That's before they started making them in China and Korea. Nowadays,
life expectancy is more like two to ten years, with a one-year
warranty. If you are lucky.

You have a point. My ex-mother-in-law had a GE with the cooling fins in a
cylinder on top. Musta been made about 1945...

I was in a house that was built in 1929, it had a row of those things
in a huge kitchen area. I think they were original to the house.
Actually it was an incredible stone mansion. The lady living there in
1965 was the grandmother of my girlfriend at the time. Seems they had
lots of moola as they owned sun oil or just about all of it. I drove
her jaguar http://jaguar-e-type.net/
When I was asked to slow down I said why, I thougt I was going about
55 on the Schuylkill expressway but when I quickly peeked at the
speedometer is was regestering over 90 MPH.
She still lives in the place but is now the age her grandmother was
when I knew her. It was a fun time and your mention of the
refrigerators got me going. Oh yeah I also remember a grandfather
clock that I was told had once belonged to Ben Franklin.
The old units seemed to last a long long time.