Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frig repair or buy a new one?

Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. He recommended buying a new refrig. I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? The ice cream is melting! Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest to call Amana. Worth a chance, that you might
get a complimentary repair out of them. If someone other
than Amana warranty changed the relay, you've just lost your
warranty.

There are hard start kids (I know, I install enough of them)
for when a standard relay won't work. Maybe you can find a
small town repair shop that does Supco hard start kits. I'd
offer to come out, but I'm in Ontario County, and not sure
where King County is. How far is that from Ontario County?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 1:41*pm, " wrote:
Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. *The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. *I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. *It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. *He recommended buying a new refrig. *I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. *I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? *The ice cream is melting! *Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe

Google says 5 year warranty. Get 'er done. Maybe they'll just give
you a new one rather than fix the old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is most likely your compressor going out. Call Amana. They will direct
you to their warranty service. A new compressor will cost you about $ 600.
Take advantage of your warranty. New refrigerators no longer have a 5 year
warranty on their compressor, or anything else. One year is it. They don't
build refrigerators like they used to, anymore, even upscale models.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. He recommended buying a new refrig. I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? The ice cream is melting! Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 4:09*pm, Frank wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:41*pm, " wrote:

Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. *The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. *I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. *It's still under warranty for the compressor.
JaKe

Google says 5 year warranty. *Get 'er done. *Maybe they'll just give
you a new one rather than fix the old.

Good chance on that for a fridge. I used to do Amana warranty work. I
wasn't qualified to work on refrigeration systems and that was OK with
Amana at the time. Their policy was to replace a unit that needed a
new compressor. I could replace thermostats, switches, hardware ice
makers etc..

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. He recommended buying a new refrig. I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? The ice cream is melting! Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe

If it is the compressor and it is under warranty, get it done. Free is god.
If not, the cost of replacement is going to be too high and you'd do as well
to buy new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
That's before they started making them in China and Korea. Nowadays,
life expectancy is more like two to ten years, with a one-year
warranty. If you are lucky.

You have a point. My ex-mother-in-law had a GE with the cooling fins in a
cylinder on top. Musta been made about 1945...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:41:37 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Walter R. wrote:
That's before they started making them in China and Korea. Nowadays,
life expectancy is more like two to ten years, with a one-year
warranty. If you are lucky.

You have a point. My ex-mother-in-law had a GE with the cooling fins in a
cylinder on top. Musta been made about 1945...

I was in a house that was built in 1929, it had a row of those things
in a huge kitchen area. I think they were original to the house.
Actually it was an incredible stone mansion. The lady living there in
1965 was the grandmother of my girlfriend at the time. Seems they had
lots of moola as they owned sun oil or just about all of it. I drove
her jaguar http://jaguar-e-type.net/
When I was asked to slow down I said why, I thougt I was going about
55 on the Schuylkill expressway but when I quickly peeked at the
speedometer is was regestering over 90 MPH.
She still lives in the place but is now the age her grandmother was
when I knew her. It was a fun time and your mention of the
refrigerators got me going. Oh yeah I also remember a grandfather
clock that I was told had once belonged to Ben Franklin.
The old units seemed to last a long long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents were made in about 1945!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Walter R. wrote:
That's before they started making them in China and Korea.
Nowadays,
life expectancy is more like two to ten years, with a
one-year
warranty. If you are lucky.

You have a point. My ex-mother-in-law had a GE with the
cooling fins in a
cylinder on top. Musta been made about 1945...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My parents were made in about 1945!

Hmmm,
You are still young man then. I was made B4 that, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 5:06*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
This is most likely your compressor going out. Call Amana. They will direct
you to their warranty service. A new compressor will cost you about $ 600..
Take advantage of your warranty. New refrigerators no longer have a 5 year
warranty on their compressor, or anything else. One year is it. They don't
build refrigerators like they used to, anymore, even upscale models.

Nonsense. The Kitchenaid fridge I bought last year has a 5 year
parts and labor warranty on the refrigeration system and the cabinet
itself. It has a 10 year warranty on parts for the refrigeration
system. And I think you can find plenty more manufacturers with
similar warranties.

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
wrote in message

Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. *The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. *I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. *It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. *He recommended buying a new refrig. *I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. *I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? *The ice cream is melting! *Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 8:31�am, wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:06�pm, "Walter R." wrote:

This is most likely your compressor going out. Call Amana. They will direct
you to their warranty service. A new compressor will cost you about $ 600.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. He recommended buying a new refrig. I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? The ice cream is melting! Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe- Hide quoted text -

new fridges save boatloads of energy over the old ones, with the cost
of electric today its a good idea to replace any fridge over 10 years
old

I wouldn't be so fast to conclude that. I replaced a 24 year old one
last year with a new energy star one. I measured the electric
consumption for several days before and then again for several day
with the new one. the new unit uses about $95 a year in electricity,
close to what the label says. The old one used $180 a year. So,
I,m saving $85 a year in electric and that is here in NJ where I'm
paying 18cents/kwh. Even at that high energy cost, it will take 17
years to pay for the new fridge. In other parts of the country,
where electric is more like 12 cents, it would take even longer.
Energy savings are a factor to consider, but if someone has a unit
that is only 10 years old and is otherwise OK, they should do some
actual measurements with a killawatt meter before jumping to
conclusions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

joevan wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but MY ex-mother-in-law I am sure stored body parts in hers.

My ex-wife was the meanest woman in Texas - and Texas is mighty big - but
she sure didn't learn that at school (unless she was home-schooled).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Walter R. wrote:
That's before they started making them in China and Korea. Nowadays,
life expectancy is more like two to ten years, with a one-year
warranty. If you are lucky.

You have a point. My ex-mother-in-law had a GE with the cooling fins in a
cylinder on top. Musta been made about 1945...

I was in a house that was built in 1929, it had a row of those things
in a huge kitchen area. I think they were original to the house.
Actually it was an incredible stone mansion. The lady living there in
1965 was the grandmother of my girlfriend at the time. Seems they had
lots of moola as they owned sun oil or just about all of it. I drove
her jaguar http://jaguar-e-type.net/
When I was asked to slow down I said why, I thougt I was going about
55 on the Schuylkill expressway but when I quickly peeked at the
speedometer is was regestering over 90 MPH.

I had a similar experience when I drove a brand new, top-of-the-line
Mercedes.......not fortunate enough to be related to the owner, who was
a 1927 grad of the same school I attended. I drove so we could both
attend an alumni function in Chicago. Leaving the luncheon, she told me
I drove like a Chicago cabbie. That could be considered character
assassination, but, hell, I COULD drive that thing like a Chicago cabbie
because it was so easy to maneuver in traffic.

On the way home, fortunately, I noticed when the needle hit 85 before
the cops did. Felt like 55. Oh, my!

She still lives in the place but is now the age her grandmother was
when I knew her. It was a fun time and your mention of the
refrigerators got me going. Oh yeah I also remember a grandfather
clock that I was told had once belonged to Ben Franklin.
The old units seemed to last a long long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Electric rates must be high where you live.
My electric bill is about 80 bucks a month, averaged over the whole
year. (used to be higher, but I replaced furnace and had insulation
added to the attic.)
I went to the federal website a couple of months ago, and punched in my
current early-90's? fridge that came with the house, and a cheap new
one. Payback was over 7 years. I won't be in this house that long. If it
dies, it dies- I'll buy an efficient one then.
(I probably should pull it away from the wall and clean the coils, but I
am afraid that the copper line to the clogged-up icemaker would break,
and the furnace company put the new duct run right under the stupid
flimsy saddle valve, so I can't really get on it to close it without
risking a flood if it breaks off...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
on 8/18/2009 1:41 PM (ET) wrote the following:
Amana refrig only 4 yrs old and the compressor is slowly dying. The
overload/relay is buzzing every 10 min and the temp is slowly rising
inside. I replaced the overload/relay and this didn't help matters at
all. It's still under warranty for the compressor.

I called one very good repair company here in Seattle and he said he
didn't do any warranty work. He recommended buying a new refrig. I
hesistate to call Sears or A&E Factory Service based on the reviews
I've read online. I have a call into the place I bought it from but I
doubt they can do much.

Opinions? The ice cream is melting! Any good repair service here in
the South End of King County?

JaKe

I've never had a problem with Sears repairmen/women.
They came in Sears trucks.
Two specific incidents I had with the warranty work.
The repairman found a 10 penny nail in the pump, which didn't damage the
pump. My fault, yet it wrote it up as something else.
Another repairman who showed up, when I was working and my wife was
home, took time out from fixing the dryer to remove a tick from my dog.
I would never have a second thought about using Sears for warranty work.

Sears repairs dogs, too? Who'da thunk it?

Bet he was a dog owner. Just like every Mommy in a grocery store snaps
to attention when a kid starts screaming, most dog owners can't stand to
see an animal suffering.

I don't think Sears has a service center doing house calls around here
any more. Only trucks I see are the local GE/Hotpoint franchisee service
place. Maybe they outsourced it around here.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

I've never had a problem with Sears repairmen/women.
They came in Sears trucks.
Two specific incidents I had with the warranty work.
The repairman found a 10 penny nail in the pump, which didn't damage the
pump. My fault, yet it wrote it up as something else.
Another repairman who showed up, when I was working and my wife was home,
took time out from fixing the dryer to remove a tick from my dog.
I would never have a second thought about using Sears for warranty work.

Sears is a big outfit with lots of service centers. Like any large outfit,
some are good, some not so good. I guess you have one of the better ones.
Same with installers at HD and Lowes or any other chain store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I went to the DOE Energy Star website and did the same thing with my
24 year old unit before I replaced it. The calculator on the website
came up with a high number, think it was like $320 a year to
operate. I measured it with a Killawatt meter for several days and
it was actually running at $180 a year. The new one is running at
$95 which is close to the label number.

So, treat those DOE generated numbers with caution. I think they are
probably deliberately skewed to absolute worst case and may assume the
door seals are shot and leaking, etc.

frig won't restart BenG Home Repair 4 August 8th 09 04:55 PM
Mounting Kitchen Cab Above Frig? JB Home Repair 2 December 3rd 07 05:26 PM
Frig trouble hankus Home Repair 4 July 26th 07 03:47 AM
Undercounter frig mike hide Home Repair 2 December 19th 04 07:47 PM