Christopher

Default Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
so there is no point to getting a low angle block plane to take a swipe
or two across the edge of a power jointed board to get that sucker dead
on flat and smooth? I've read articles stating that the author will
power joint a board and then run a plane over it to make the edge even
better than what came off the jointer. Does that require a long
jointing plane. No other plane will suffice?

If that IS the case, what use will I get out of a $160 Veritas plane?

thanks.

DAVE

I think I read about what you mention here in The Handplane Book. I don't
have a jointer, so can't speak from experience, but I can tell you that the
low angle block plane is not the tool you want for this task. You would use
a smooth plane like a number 4 or even a slightly longer plane, set to take
a very fine shaving. As I understand it, low angle planes are mostly for
end grain and maybe grain that has no particular direction. The point is
not to make the work piece straighter than it comes off the jointer though.
The point is to remove any slight ripples left by the rotating cutting head
of the power jointer.

-Chris