Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Thompson's Water Seal

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/19/2009 5:40 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/18/2009 10:01 PM Mark & Juanita spake thus:

Andrew Barss wrote:

I did have a strangely terrific experience with spar varnish. I
did two exterior doors, one facing west (behind a security door),
and one facing south, in direct sun, in around 1996. Until 2
years ago, they looked absolutely perfect. The screened westward
one still looks great, but the south one is peeling and so forth.
But 10-11 years in bright sun is pretty good!

Thanks -- that's helpful, I've got some doors that need to be
re-finished. The kid was supposed to scrape them this summer; I
think he got 1/2 way done with one of them, so will work that when
it cools off. If we don't paint them, will look at using spar.

Spar varnish is *THE* stuff to use on exterior wood, assuming you
want a glossy surface. Just recently refinished a client's front
door with it. I expect it to last at least 5 years, maybe more. Very
pleasant stuff to work with, too. (Assuming one doesn't mind contact
with paint thinner.)

Just pray that that client doesn't lean on that door in an expensive
suit on a hot day. If it's real spar varnish and you didn't warn
him about that he's going to be very unhappy.

Don't think that's going to be a problem. A few years ago I refinished
the floors of my living space using spar varnish, the same stuff I
used on that door (McCloskey Man-o-War). Never had any problem with
things sticking to the floor or soft varnish there, even on extremely
hot days (poor ventilation, so it got pretty hot there sometimes).

Have you actually experienced this problem? I haven't.

Yep, repeatedly. Railings on boats, canoe seats and thwarts, etc. Wrecked
my whites that way just before an inspection once.