Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Question

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:53:09 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Aug 18, 1:21Â*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 05:41:53 -0700 (PDT), stan

wrote:
That's correct AFIK. Can't have two separate hots in one box.
GFCI outlets compares the current in the neutral and live wires; for
anything plugged into the GFCI itself or any outlets wired downstream
of it. If the current is different the GFCI trips (For safety because
the difference might be leakage Â*through a human).
So you can't use a GFCI for an Edison circuit with it's common
neutral. Plugging into either 'half' of an Edison outlet would
immediately be an unbalance and then 'click'.

The trick, if you want a multiwire circuit feeding the kitchen is to
put in a 4" box with 2 GFCI receptacles (one on each side of the MW)
then run 12/2/2 to the split receptacles down stream.

I figured out that in my kitchen it was easier to just use 4" boxes at
each counter top location and pull 2 separate circuits. You never seem
to have enough places to plug things in anyway.

I'm not sure that meets code. You can't have two separately controlled
circuits in the same box - The explanation is that if you turn off the
power to one circuit, the hapless electrician could assume the whole
box is safe to work on. $5.00 could buy him a voltage tester, but...

It's up to code if you use "tied" breakers - just like on a typical
"split" (or Edison circuit as you guys call it).