Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using CO2 cylinders to run air tools [was; Blowing drains]

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

-snip-
out of things. I get them refilled at the local dry
ice/CO2 dealer. I purchased a high flow regulator at
the HVAC supply house and use the CO2 to run air tools,
inflate tires and clear clogged pipes and coils.
Why run your tools on CO2? What is the advantage over just
filling from your compressor, or the local gas station?

Jim

The 20lb cylinder is filled with liquid CO2 which flashes
into gas when the pressure is let off of it. It boils at
-70 deg F and the 20lbs of liquid CO2 will produce a lot
of gas.

Hmm-- Never thought of that. I get along fine with my 10gallon air
tank, but . . . .

One pound of liquid CO2
will produce 8.741 cubic feet of gas.

If we can go direct from a gallon of 'air' to a gallon of CO2- then
your 20lb tank makes about
20*8.741= 174.82cu ft
174.82*7.48=1307gallons. . . Is that right?

What is the maximum pressure you can get for your air tools?

Will it run high volume using tools like sand blasters or rotary
cutters?

Thanks
Jim

Not unless you have some sort of heat exchanger. A lot of trim
carpenters use them for air powered brad or stapling guns. I
use it with my pneumatic pop rivet tool and air ratchet. The
problem with higher volume is that the line and regulator get
very cold and icy unless designed for the job. One day I'll
come up with a gadget that will flash high volume cold CO2
into nice warm high pressure gas.

TDD