Posted to alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default Wiring Question

On Aug 17, 11:12*pm, rangerssuck wrote:
I'm doing some remodel work in my kitchen and will be adding some new
circuits and replacing some old. A few months from now, I'm going to
do some extensive electrical work (new service entrance and panel).
I'm not exactly sure where the new panel will end up - could be at
either end of a wall, depending on a number of factors that I simply
can't deal with today, and the sheetrock guy is coming later this
week, so the kitchen wiring has to be done...

So, here's my question: Is it a really horrible idea to do the kitchen
wiring, drop the wires down to the basement, each circuit into it's
own 4" square box, and then run romex from each of those boxes to the
panel? That would give me the flexibility to get the kitchen done this
week and the basement done in a few months.

So, good, bad, ugly or "don't do it" ?

Thanks

I'd pick C and D. Put a new subpanel in the basement just under the
kitchen, wire all the new work to it, and run a single big cable back
to the old main panel, with enough slack in it to re-route to wherever
the new main panel will be. One run of heavy-gauge cable will be less
work than making all those runs in romex, plus you can make the new
main panel a little smaller than it would need to be otherwise.

With your range wired to the new subpanel, you may find that you can
use the routing that its cable used back to the old panel to route
your new subpanel feed. Might save a bit of drilling.

Chip C
Toronto