Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring Question

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
I'm doing some remodel work in my kitchen and will be adding some new
circuits and replacing some old. A few months from now, I'm going to
do some extensive electrical work (new service entrance and panel).
I'm not exactly sure where the new panel will end up - could be at
either end of a wall, depending on a number of factors that I simply
can't deal with today, and the sheetrock guy is coming later this
week, so the kitchen wiring has to be done...

So, here's my question: Is it a really horrible idea to do the kitchen
wiring, drop the wires down to the basement, each circuit into it's
own 4" square box, and then run romex from each of those boxes to the
panel? That would give me the flexibility to get the kitchen done this
week and the basement done in a few months.

So, good, bad, ugly or "don't do it" ?

Thanks

You usually install a new service at or near the existing one, as all the
existing cables are going to have to be rerouted into the new equipment, or
a feeder will have to go from the new equipment to feed the existing
equipment if it will remain as a sub panel. For neatness and simplicity, I
would leave long tails and no junctions, especially if you have any heavy
loads like electric ranges or cooktops. FYI, Nec requires a minimum of 2-20
amp circuits for kitchen outlets. All counter top outlets must be GFCI
protected. Every counter space 12" or larger requires an outlet. At any
point along a counter space, you must be within two feet of an outlet