Posted to alt.home.repair
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Wiring Question

On Aug 17, 11:54*pm, Mike Paulsen wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
I'm doing some remodel work in my kitchen and will be adding some new
circuits and replacing some old. A few months from now, I'm going to
do some extensive electrical work (new service entrance and panel).
I'm not exactly sure where the new panel will end up - could be at
either end of a wall, depending on a number of factors that I simply
can't deal with today, and the sheetrock guy is coming later this
week, so the kitchen wiring has to be done...

So, here's my question: Is it a really horrible idea to do the kitchen
wiring, drop the wires down to the basement, each circuit into it's
own 4" square box, and then run romex from each of those boxes to the
panel? That would give me the flexibility to get the kitchen done this
week and the basement done in a few months.

So, good, bad, ugly or "don't do it" ?

Thanks

The junction boxes in the basement would have to remain accessible, so
you'd want to make sure you would be OK with blank cover plates or an
access panel where you're thinking of putting them.

How far is it from where the cables enter the basement to the proposed
panel locations? Would it be feasible to just leave enough cable to make
the longer run and accept the additional waste if you go with the other
location?

This basement is, and will always be, unfinished, so accessibility is
not an issue. The boxes can just go up on a joist and stay there
forever. The way the cable would run to the alternate location could
add thirty or more feet to each run. I think I'll probably go with the
junction boxes. They're pretty cheap (I may actually have enough on
hand without buying any), and it will get the job done neatly.