Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blowing drains

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Once in a while, I have need to clear a clogged drain line
from an AC unit. Now, is one of those times. I've got a
maybe job. We'll know in a couple days if I have the job or
not. Big system, 8 ton unit. The building has a couple 12
ton and five eaches 8 ton AC. The drain line is about an
inch or 1 1/4 inch copper, with a vertical open top tube to
pour in some cleaner, or insert a blow gun tip. The drain
which is clogged is about 10 feet long, with maybe 3 elbows
invovled. Drains onto a rolled black rubber roof, so I'm not
eager to use chemicals.

Compressor and blow gun tip comes to mind. What other
options are there? My parts house has a little thing with a
carbon dioxide cylinder. Wonder if that's big enough.

Back in the good old days, we'd use a tank of freon to blow
it out. That's no longer done, of course.

I have a number of 20lb CO2 tanks that were meant for
soft drink dispensers. The tanks are quite handy and
can often be found abandoned in closed restaurants.
I've found several in dumpsters and set them up for
friends to use for inflating tires and blowing debris
out of things. I get them refilled at the local dry
ice/CO2 dealer. I purchased a high flow regulator at
the HVAC supply house and use the CO2 to run air tools,
inflate tires and clear clogged pipes and coils.

TDD