Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blowing drains

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Once in a while, I have need to clear a clogged drain line
from an AC unit. Now, is one of those times. I've got a
maybe job. We'll know in a couple days if I have the job or
not. Big system, 8 ton unit. The building has a couple 12
ton and five eaches 8 ton AC. The drain line is about an
inch or 1 1/4 inch copper, with a vertical open top tube to
pour in some cleaner, or insert a blow gun tip. The drain
which is clogged is about 10 feet long, with maybe 3 elbows
invovled. Drains onto a rolled black rubber roof, so I'm not
eager to use chemicals.

Compressor and blow gun tip comes to mind. What other
options are there? My parts house has a little thing with a
carbon dioxide cylinder. Wonder if that's big enough.

Back in the good old days, we'd use a tank of freon to blow
it out. That's no longer done, of course.

I have a couple of interesting gadgets that Johnstone used
to carry. The things are machined aluminum holders for the
small CO2 cartridges and have a 3/4" male pipe thread on
one end with a pair of small holes. You insert a CO2 cartridge,
screw the adapter on to the pipe, then twist the holder tight
which punctures the gas cartridge. It works fairly well for
some clogs.

TDD