Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pointing

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Got to do a fair bit of pointing soon, old stuff pretty crumbly so I assume
the best tool is one of those wheelie things with a nail in it? Rather than
the TCT rasps for angle grinders? They look a mite tricky to control?

I've used them very effectively. You probably want to buy a bag of
sturdy masonary pins to use as replacement nails too. (Actually,
it's a toss-up if ordinary nails which wear quickly, or masonary
pins which wear slowly but tend to snap in half when fitting, are
most cost effective.) Only thing to be careful of is the nail
coming out of the line of pointing and gouging a line across a
soft facing brick.

Also, don't be tempted to go too deep. Half inch max. The object
is to replace the weathered edge of the pointing, and not to try
rebuilding the wall whilst it's standing (and sometimes softer
mortar was used to build the wall than to point it up anyway).
If the old pointing doesn't come out easily, it probably doesn't
need replacing.

I've also seen a sort of sealant gun for mortar
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd140/p51065

Are these any good? Bit wary after spending money on a Durgun which was
useless (I know its for a different application).

I would strongly suggest learning how to do it properly. Do you
know anyone local who can show you? It's not difficult, but it's
something you really need to see and feel being done, and not
just read about.

--
Andrew Gabriel