Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default How to rescue a table saw from rust

On Aug 16, 3:57*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

Best, easiest way is to clean off is with a glass bead blaster. The
grafted-on paper doesn't even have to be removed. Any automotive
machine shop will have one and it should take no more than 10 minutes
to process. Auto cylinder heads and other parts are routinely cleaned
this way before machining. A fringe benefit is a slight work hardening
of the surface in the process. If the shop charges over $20, then
consider buying the gear from Harbor Freight if you have an air
compressor. Some shops have shot blasters which are too rough to
consider for a machined surface. Wax the surface as soon as possible
after cleaning.

Joe