Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to rescue a table saw from rust

Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

Lotsa steel wool and/or 3M scrub pads, and then wax it. Pretty much any
solvent, even a soak in goof-off, should get the paper off. Don't use
metal scrapers or power sander or anything. Ending up with a 'brushed'
finish is okay, but you don't want deep scratches. After sitting that
long, you will want to check the table for flatness, front to back, side
to side, and corner to corner, with a good long straight-edge. Saw may
or may not have screws to adjust it.

I'm envious.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

If you have a container large enough to immerse the whole table, you may
want to consider electrolytically derusting it - but be prepared to oil
it *immediately* upon removal/cleaning.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2009 2:33 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Aaron Fude wrote:

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

If you have a container large enough to immerse the whole table, you may
want to consider electrolytically derusting it - but be prepared to oil
it *immediately* upon removal/cleaning.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Could do. I'm a fan and practitioner of electrolytic rust removal, but
usually for objects much smaller than a saw table.

Barring that, I'd just follow the usual advice. Tool of choice might be
a wire wheel on a drill, which won't gouge or otherwise damage the
surface but will aggressively remove rust, paper, etc.

You'll have a very nice tool once you're done. So let me join the others
in saying "you suck".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered
by a protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto
the table top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

You are sure the rest is "pristine". With that kind of moisture, I'd check
carefully all moving parts. Do both up/down and tilt adjustments work smoothly
and easily? Do the motor and arbor both turn easily and cleanly.

If everything else is really good, then cleaning the top should not be that bad.
A wire brush on a drill or sander or grinder should clean it well as long as
the rust isn't too deep. OR, you could try naval jelly, or some kind of acid
wash, or the electrolysis someone else suggested. Then rinse very well and oil
the clean metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:57:35 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

Sandpaper, kerosene and a finishing sander. You may not be able to
remove the rusy pits, but hey it's free. I would start with 120 grit
then finish with 220. I use Johnson's wax on my cast iron tabletop
to prevent rust, but you can use Topcoat spray (about $12).
Alternatively, you can have the top professionally machined flat but
not sure what this would cost. If the top is not absolutely flat
(use winding sticks to check), the saw is not worth too much. A bad
fence can be replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 4:57*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

I just fixed up one like that, well about a years ago. I kept it wet
with Kroil for about a month then started scrubbing and sanding. I
have a neighbor that runs a machine shop and he told me AFTER I got it
cleaned up that he could have milled the surface for me gratis. Mine
was much older '60s and had been used a lot. I wish I could get a
decent fence for it. I have the original fence but the old ones are a
pain to square up with the blade

I was surprised it was all surface rust, I got obsessed with taking it
all down to bright metal. I could have left a lot of the stains and it
would have been just as well.

Jimmie

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

You can use WD40 to remove the cosmoline holding the paper to the top
and then as everyone else has said, lots of steelwool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Repost to rec.woodworking for the best advice.

Thank you,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 16, 3:57*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

Thank you,

Aaron

Best, easiest way is to clean off is with a glass bead blaster. The
grafted-on paper doesn't even have to be removed. Any automotive
machine shop will have one and it should take no more than 10 minutes
to process. Auto cylinder heads and other parts are routinely cleaned
this way before machining. A fringe benefit is a slight work hardening
of the surface in the process. If the shop charges over $20, then
consider buying the gear from Harbor Freight if you have an air
compressor. Some shops have shot blasters which are too rough to
consider for a machined surface. Wax the surface as soon as possible
after cleaning.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,
This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's

garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and the
extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was covered by a
protective sheet of paper and it's now completely grafted onto the table
top surface.

I inherited an old Monkey Wards table saw and got excellent results using
old gasoline with a little used motor oil added and some steel wool.
Obviously this might not be a good idea if you have a gas water heater near
the saw.

What to put on new table saw table to prevent rust? Dan Woodworking 14 October 11th 07 05:58 PM
rust removal on table saw Jimmy Woodworking 21 March 13th 07 05:22 PM
What to use on table saw to prevent rust [email protected] Home Repair 10 January 4th 06 01:33 AM
Table saw rust removal PB Woodworking 20 September 9th 05 05:16 AM
Table Saw Rust BeeFarmer Woodworking 39 February 2nd 04 11:21 PM