Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default OT - cell phone advice

On Aug 12, 10:22*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*mike wrote:
All the cell phone companies have it set up where they get their
gallon of blood out of you per year one way or another. *Don't be
fooled.

Since so many other people have cell phones, just paint up a big sign
for them to keep in their car that says "CALL 911".

Mythbusters should try this out and see whether it actually works.
Remember the cardboard accordion windshield inserts to protect your
dashboard and interior from sunlight, that on the reverse side said
"Need help, call police?" I always wondered whether that actually worked.

I remember those, but I kinda doubt if they actually worked, because
too many idiots didn't bother to check which side was facing out
when they put up the insert. Now I haveuse a plain silvered one, the
same on both sides.

However, people could -- and I may -- just hand-paint such a
cardboard sign and keep it handy ... in case. I suppose most
people today would use a cell phone to call help. Unless you're
using Virgin Mobile, which cut off my service without telling me,
so that when I WAS stuck and needed help (see long rant )
it didn't work.

Just a side note: After a long call with those idiots a few
days ago, the matter had supposedly been straightened out
and automatic top-up was back on.

Today I get an email AND a cellphone message that my top-up
was "unsuccessful". ANOTHER long call, only to find out that the
first idiot didn't record the correct info. Let's hope the
second -- well, I can't call her an idiot YET -- has
done better.

Anybody else remember the long-ago- era when service was service,
and the service folks were at least semi-literate?

Feh!