Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - cell phone advice

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:17:48 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Rick Brandt wrote:

I have had one case though where the plugs from two chargers were the
same (they would both fit my phone), but only one would actually charge
it. The other caused the display to read "unrecognized charger" or
something to that affect.

Ah, the old Motorola "Unauthorized Charger" display.

Don't know why Motorola dumped all the product lines they did well to
concentrate on a business that is relatively low-profit, that they do
so VERY poorly. Of all the things Motorola did well, CELL phones is
not one of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 11:49*pm, SMS wrote:
wrote:
Don't know why Motorola dumped all the product lines they did well to
concentrate on a business that is relatively low-profit, that they do
so VERY poorly. *Of all the things Motorola did well, CELL phones is
not one of them.

They used to have the best phones, back in the days of TDMA/AMPS and
CDMA/AMPS, at least in terms of the radio portion of the phones. Their
user interface always sucked. Phones like the V325 and the E815 are
still sought after in the used market.

It was not all that long ago when the handset business was _not_ low
profit. It's likely that they are about to unload their handset business
to someone in China.

I had a kid in my car the other week with a Motorola Rival on Verizon
which was pretty nice. Out here we're pretty limited in terms of phones
because almost everyone uses Verizon because the AT&T, T-Mobile, and
Sprint coverage are so poor. So while the kids may want iPhones, it
makes no sense because the phone part of it isn't usable in many areas
of town. Makes more sense for an iPod Touch and a CDMA phone on Verizon.
There's probably a lot of parents around that hope that Verizon doesn't
get the iPhone next year!

For the kids, I have read that if you get the iPod Touch and load
Skype on it, you can use it for making phone calls in areas that have
hot-spots. It's not an IPhone, but it's pretty cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad has decided that he's not getting a cell phone.
Thanks to all who commented. The matter is now concluded.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:13:58 -0400, George

wrote:

I have several USB chargers that will plug into the
cigarette
lighter in a vehicle. I wonder what will become of the
lighter
when everyone quits smoking? *snicker*

TDD

They will put labels that state "accessory power" on them
and fit them
with a tethered or hinged cap instead of a lighter. Many
vehicles are
already made that way.

Mt wife just bought a new Lincoln and it has a bunch of
lighter
sockets but not one lighter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

mike wrote:
All the cell phone companies have it set up where they get their
gallon of blood out of you per year one way or another. Don't be
fooled.

Nope. Look for a prepaid provider that has:

a) Low minimum monthly cost, not more than $2.50/month

b) Low per-minute rate (not more than 15 cents for low usage, not more
than 6 cents for high usage)

c) Low texting rate (10 cents or less)

d) Coverage everywhere that there is a signal

The fact that many people over-pay by a huge amount for wireless service
does not mean that those that are smart enough to not be overpaying are
being fooled.

If anyone is paying more than $35/month for unlimited voice and texts
then they are overpaying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"PatM" wrote in message

On Aug 13, 11:49 pm, SMS wrote:

wrote:
[...]

What? What? He's decided not to take the collective knowledge of the
alt.home.repair group as it related to cell phones? Come on, he can't
do that !!! He can't just up and decide to not have a cell phone!
That's un-American. What is he, some sort of Commie? He must know
that will all of the time and energy devoted to his cause, he must now
get a phone: some phone, any phone, but a phone he must get.
Otherwise society as we know it may start to fall apart, all because
of him. :-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

"I know, I can't stop." The natural insecticide, nicotine, is
a powerfully addictive alkaloid that gets hold of them and the
unfortunate youngsters can't shake it off.

TDD

It's been claimed, and I believe it, that the chemicals the tobacco
companies add are far more addictive than the nicotine itself. I've
known a handful of smokers who were able to kick the habit by first
switching to an additive-free brand such as American Spirits, as an
interim step. If you're going to play evangelist, you might put that
suggestion in your arsenal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

PatM wrote:

What? What? He's decided not to take the collective knowledge of the
alt.home.repair group as it related to cell phones? Come on, he can't
do that !!! He can't just up and decide to not have a cell phone!
That's un-American. What is he, some sort of Commie?

Sounds like a liberal left wing one-world eggheaded, Viet Cong
sympathizin' bleeding heart pinko pansy to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Metspitzer wrote:

For the same reason that don't standardize USB connections.
If they standardized them, they couldn't charge through the nose for
their own.

The U in USB is universal. That is a joke.

Standards are great, especially when we have so many of them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:17:48 -0700, SMS
wrote:

[snip]

Ah, the old Motorola "Unauthorized Charger" display.

A standard Motorola USB charger puts ~1.4vdc onto the x pin (the 5th
pin) of the mini USB plug. A Motorola phone looks for that voltage and
will display "Unauthorized Charger" if it doesn't see it. So you can't
charge your phone from a USB port using a standard USB to Mini USB cable
(though if you have Motorola Phone Tools running on the computer it
will work).

I've found the last thing to work. So, the phone must have TWO ways to
enable charging (I was still using the same cable after installing the
software and how could software have made it grow that voltage
divider?).

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 2:45*pm, SMS wrote:
windcrest wrote:
I have a tracfone, they are great. *I get connections just fine and I
replenish it every 3 months or so.

If you get a tracfone it is worthwhile to pay the extra $49 at time of
purchase to get "double minutes for life", with this plan every time
thereafter when you buy minutes they automatically double them. *That
initial $49 pays for itself after your second replenish.

If all you need is basic communication then I can highly recommend a
tracfone.

With the Double Minutes for Life remember that it goes with the phone.
If you get a new phone then you have to pay it again.

With the $100/400 minutes card doubled to 800 minutes (after buying the
double minutes for life), and discounted 8% by CallingMart, the per
minute cost comes down to 11.5 cents. But even this cheapest cost per
minute is higher than the most expensive cost per minute on a carrier
like PagePlus which allows you to use any Verizon CDMA phone, including
smart phones, and which offers data.

Nice things about Tracfone:

1. You can sign up for a $5.99/month service that keeps your account
active in case it would otherwise expire.

2. The 400/800 minute card has a one year expiration time.

3. Coverage is good, both on their CDMA (Verizon) phones and their GSM
(AT&T phones) with roaming available (either included or at extra cost).

4. Apparently it works in Canada.

For a seldom used, glove box phone, the 365 day expiration is very nice,
though you can get the same thing with a 7-11 SpeakOut phone and pay
only $50/year.

Incidentally, tomorrow:

CallingMart.com: Wednesday 8/12/2009 from 11am-11pm EST. 8% Off Face
Value for Net10, Tracfone, Verizon & PagePlus . Coupon Code: CM-20090812.

Haven't been following entire thread, so hope this isn't redundant.

I have subscribed to Virgin Mobile for several years, not because I
love them (NOT)
but because they are the cheapest for pre-paid. I use a cell phone
only for emergencies
and while traveling, so a monthly plan would be a waste of money for
moi.

Virgin Mobile charges my cr. card $15 (just went up to $20)
automatically every
3 months.

They have always been HORRIBLE to deal with on the phone. Used to
have a
female robot named "Simone" with a phony black accent who was no help;
in fact hung up on me several times.

Their on-line service is equally opaque if one happens not to have the
"V" number
or whatever they now call their six-digit customer code.

Following an emergency (next para), I had no recourse but to call
the cust svc number,
which turns out to be much more user-friendly than the old horror.

Emergency: I ran out of gas ON A FREEWAY ON-RAMP AT RUSH HOUR . That
has to
be the acme in driver stupidity!!! Several drivers slowed and
stopped to help, but
I waved my cell phone as signal "I'm OK". NOT! My calls to Road
Service
would not go through! Terror!

I was saved by an MTA (Los Angeles transit) truck whose job is to get
idiots
like me off the road.

When I got home I tried again to use my cell phone. Nada! I had my
friend call me; he reported "service has been suspended". What???!!!
Plenty of money in my account.

Back to phone service: After a tense period of dealing with a nice,
willing
person with a hard-tto-understand accent (offshore call center), I
realized that service
had been "suspended" because my last credit card payment had
bounced.

It was MORE fallout frorm a smash'n'grab robbery over two months
ago!!
I had spent WEEKS -- no, MONTHS, trying to reach everybody -- credit
cards,
bank accounts, insurance, direct-pay, etc.etc.etc. but did not think
of cell phone
payment plan set up years ago, since I hardly use the phone.
Unbelievable what it takes to put one's life together after identity
theft
(plus property loss and damage!).

Why am I posting this OT rant? Because Virgin Mobile did not follow
up on the bounced payment. They should have made every effort to
contact
me! I have faxed their CEO a strong complaint, which I hope (hah!)
will lead to better outcomes for the next person faced with a
potentially
life-threatening emergency.

Please, save your flames. I have been through enough!

I just wanted to (a) reluctantly endorse Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go
as
cheapest for only emergency/travel use, and (b) alert people who
may have suffered identity theft to check their cell phone payment
plan as well as the other, more obvious exposures you need to change.

Burned "idiot driver"

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have subscribed to Virgin Mobile for several years, not because I
love them (NOT) but because they are the cheapest for pre-paid.

They are not the cheapest, not by a long shot.

Relatively poor coverage, high per minutes rates, high texting charges,
and relatively high monthly minimums.

See "http://prepaiduswireless.com/" for less expensive options.

You can have T-Mobile for as little as 74¢/month after you spend $100 in
air time and go "gold."

You can have PagePlus (Verizon network) for as little as $2.31/month.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:17:48 -0700, SMS
wrote:

[snip]

Ah, the old Motorola "Unauthorized Charger" display.

A standard Motorola USB charger puts ~1.4vdc onto the x pin (the 5th
pin) of the mini USB plug. A Motorola phone looks for that voltage and
will display "Unauthorized Charger" if it doesn't see it. So you can't
charge your phone from a USB port using a standard USB to Mini USB cable
(though if you have Motorola Phone Tools running on the computer it
will work).

I've found the last thing to work. So, the phone must have TWO ways to
enable charging (I was still using the same cable after installing the
software and how could software have made it grow that voltage
divider?).

The software tells the phone to not worry about seeing that voltage on
pin x of the USB connector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

"I know, I can't stop." The natural insecticide, nicotine, is
a powerfully addictive alkaloid that gets hold of them and the
unfortunate youngsters can't shake it off.

TDD

It's been claimed, and I believe it, that the chemicals the tobacco
companies add are far more addictive than the nicotine itself. I've
known a handful of smokers who were able to kick the habit by first
switching to an additive-free brand such as American Spirits, as an
interim step. If you're going to play evangelist, you might put that
suggestion in your arsenal.

I smoked for 9 months and went cold turkey at the age of one day.
In the middle of the last century, folks didn't know any better
and everyone smoked everywhere. I wasn't a snot nosed kid, I was
a green slime kid. I can't hate my parents for what they did to
me with the air pollution because they had no idea of the harm it
caused but I sure can resent it. People don't believe me when I
tell them that I can tell if someone in the car in front of me
is smoking, even though I can't see it, when traveling down the
freeway at 70 mph. That's how sensitive I am to the stench. I'm
gonna cut a really big fart now, excuse me.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:23:17 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:17:48 -0700, SMS
wrote:

[snip]

Ah, the old Motorola "Unauthorized Charger" display.

A standard Motorola USB charger puts ~1.4vdc onto the x pin (the 5th
pin) of the mini USB plug. A Motorola phone looks for that voltage and
will display "Unauthorized Charger" if it doesn't see it. So you can't
charge your phone from a USB port using a standard USB to Mini USB cable
(though if you have Motorola Phone Tools running on the computer it
will work).

I've found the last thing to work. So, the phone must have TWO ways to
enable charging (I was still using the same cable after installing the
software and how could software have made it grow that voltage
divider?).

The software tells the phone to not worry about seeing that voltage on
pin x of the USB connector.

OK. Should that setting persist, so then the phone will charge from
any USB cable (software not required)?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:17:48 -0700, SMS
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

No. The phone knows when it's connected to Motorola Phone Tools. It
doesn't persist.

See "http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml"
for the hack to fix this (but then you can't use that cable for Motorola
Phone Tools).

Or buy this cable for $1.99, free shipping:
"http://www2.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13246"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 10:22*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*mike wrote:
All the cell phone companies have it set up where they get their
gallon of blood out of you per year one way or another. *Don't be
fooled.

Since so many other people have cell phones, just paint up a big sign
for them to keep in their car that says "CALL 911".

Mythbusters should try this out and see whether it actually works.
Remember the cardboard accordion windshield inserts to protect your
dashboard and interior from sunlight, that on the reverse side said
"Need help, call police?" I always wondered whether that actually worked.

I remember those, but I kinda doubt if they actually worked, because
too many idiots didn't bother to check which side was facing out
when they put up the insert. Now I haveuse a plain silvered one, the
same on both sides.

However, people could -- and I may -- just hand-paint such a
cardboard sign and keep it handy ... in case. I suppose most
people today would use a cell phone to call help. Unless you're
using Virgin Mobile, which cut off my service without telling me,
so that when I WAS stuck and needed help (see long rant )
it didn't work.

Just a side note: After a long call with those idiots a few
days ago, the matter had supposedly been straightened out
and automatic top-up was back on.

Today I get an email AND a cellphone message that my top-up
was "unsuccessful". ANOTHER long call, only to find out that the
first idiot didn't record the correct info. Let's hope the
second -- well, I can't call her an idiot YET -- has
done better.

Anybody else remember the long-ago- era when service was service,
and the service folks were at least semi-literate?

Feh!

Cell phone 911 ---MIKE--- Home Repair 1 December 9th 07 08:45 PM
Can I switch the sim in my damaged Cell Phone to a new Cell Phone? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 30th 06 12:58 AM
O.T. Cell Phone E. Walter Le Roy Metalworking 14 May 8th 06 04:23 PM
Using a PTT mic on a cell phone James Myers Electronics 2 June 9th 05 03:46 AM
Cell Phone M. Anas Electronics 1 July 13th 04 01:17 PM