Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bobneworleans@yahoo.com is offline

Default Settling

On Aug 16, 10:07*pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 16, 3:26 pm, Tony wrote:

wrote:
About 10 years ago we replaced carpet in the downstairs living room
with vinyl plank. The installers had to use a lot of mud to level the
floor and it looked great when they were done. Now, we see waves
under the flooring and cracks in the patio tile just outside.

My wife and I are wondering if the rate of settling is likely to
increase over time costing lots more to fix in the long run if we put
this off.

I can't answer your question but the problem may be fixed much better
using concrete jacking. (they drill holes in the floor all the way
through the slab, then pump concrete under the slab filling in any voids
and lifting any low spots.) But you would probably need a new floor
after that.

Wouldn't concrete jacking just be a temporary solution? *It seems that
if they fill the current low spots with concrete, new ones would
develop as settling continues over the next 10 years. *No?

No one can provide an answer without a lot more info.

Where do you live?

What kind of foundation and floor do you have?

Do you have weeping tile and a sump pit?

What are the soil conditions that your basement is built on?

How old is your house?

What have the weather conditions been (rainy, wet, dry, etc)?

What sort of surface drainage do you have and is it proper? *Do you have
extenstions on your down spouts? *Is the soil sloped away from your
foundation?

Etc. etc......

Doug,
Are you qualified to make a good recommendation or are you simply
letting me know the type of info that I will need to provide to a
foundation engineer?
Bob