Bay Area Dave

Default Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

as usual Scott is worthless at answering any woodworking questions,
which is why he is my premier plonkee.

I'm trying to understand the mechanics of planing to understand how I'd
get an edge as flat as on a power jointer, using a, say, low angle block
plane.

dave

PLEASE try not to quote him...

dave

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Scott Cramer writes:

On 12 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

[... How is it possible that a hand plane joints? ]

You are a certifiable idiot.

Not because of that question.

Why do you think a long plane is called a jointer plane?

Just that a jointer plane is called jointer plane is *not* an
explanation of how it works, and it is by no means obvoius that
jointing with a jointer plane does work.