Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Electric Planer vs Sander & How to square a piece of wood with atable saw.

On Aug 17, 4:21*am, Bewet Miller wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could give me any help, tips *or pointers
about using an electric planer.
How do you know if it is best to use a planer or a sander?
For example, I have a wooden cutting board that is made of 3 strips of
wood laminated together laterally , looks like this from the edge:

~~~ * *they were put together like one should so that the board will
not for a cup as it wrap - the grain of the first and last piece are
concave, the middle convex.
This cutting board is pretty beat up. *Would it be better to sand it
or plane it.
It may seem like an insignificant question, but it is the only example
I have at the moment.
I have both an electric sander and planer and I am trying to learn to
use them *both to their full potential.

I know nothing about planeing but have figured out how to use the
machine. *I realize it takes off much more *wood then does sanding,
and some pieces are too small or too big to fit in my planer.

If one has a very small piece can you place it on top of a larger
piece of wood and try to run it through that way? *I've not as yet
done that so I don't know.

Also, I have tried to square up some boards on my table saw and I have
met with failure. *They are anything but square.
Even if I started out with a squared piece and I cut it , it turns out
to be slightly wedge shaped.
Any help for me?
I always wear eye & ear protection.
I have a scare to remind me to stand to the side and avoid kick back -
I'm very grateful it was a large piece of wood because I feel a small
piece would have gone through me.

If you can give me any advice or refer me to a web site you thing is
good I'd appreciate the help.

Bmiller

Hand electric planer? Belt or 1/4 or 1/2 sheet pad sander? Id use my
handheld electric planer to quickly remove a minimal amount then my 4"
wide belt sander, but I have done alot of this. A planer will ruin
wood if you are not carefull and cant finish it completely. A planer
would be to quickly remove a bit of damaged wood. Practice on scrap ,
first to see how it cuts, it may not even have the blades set to level
and may gouge one side or the may be dull and burn it black. A hand
electric planer can burn wood black if you are not familiar with it,
and chip off the end of the board and gouge all over the place and
throw a mess of chips, a belt sander has more control and will finish
the job smooth and level, you will need maybe 50-80-120g, all three.
Planers take learning, sanders are more forgiving and easier to
master.