Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Planer vs Sander & How to square a piece of wood with a table saw.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help, tips or pointers
about using an electric planer.
How do you know if it is best to use a planer or a sander?
For example, I have a wooden cutting board that is made of 3 strips of
wood laminated together laterally , looks like this from the edge:

~~~ they were put together like one should so that the board will
not for a cup as it wrap - the grain of the first and last piece are
concave, the middle convex.
This cutting board is pretty beat up. Would it be better to sand it
or plane it.
It may seem like an insignificant question, but it is the only example
I have at the moment.
I have both an electric sander and planer and I am trying to learn to
use them both to their full potential.

I know nothing about planeing but have figured out how to use the
machine. I realize it takes off much more wood then does sanding,
and some pieces are too small or too big to fit in my planer.

If one has a very small piece can you place it on top of a larger
piece of wood and try to run it through that way? I've not as yet
done that so I don't know.

Also, I have tried to square up some boards on my table saw and I have
met with failure. They are anything but square.
Even if I started out with a squared piece and I cut it , it turns out
to be slightly wedge shaped.
Any help for me?
I always wear eye & ear protection.
I have a scare to remind me to stand to the side and avoid kick back -
I'm very grateful it was a large piece of wood because I feel a small
piece would have gone through me.

If you can give me any advice or refer me to a web site you thing is
good I'd appreciate the help.

Bmiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bewet Miller" wrote in message

If one has a very small piece can you place it on top of a larger
piece of wood and try to run it through that way? I've not as yet
done that so I don't know.

Yes, that is common practice, just be sure the base piece is square too.

Also, I have tried to square up some boards on my table saw and I have
met with failure. They are anything but square.
Even if I started out with a squared piece and I cut it , it turns out
to be slightly wedge shaped.

Sounds like you may have to do some setup on your tools to be sure they are
square

Any help for me?
I always wear eye & ear protection.
I have a scare to remind me to stand to the side and avoid kick back -
I'm very grateful it was a large piece of wood because I feel a small
piece would have gone through me.

If you can give me any advice or refer me to a web site you thing is
good I'd appreciate the help.

Ask the same question on rec.woodworking and you'll get plenty of help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 4:21*am, Bewet Miller wrote:
[...]

Hand electric planer? Belt or 1/4 or 1/2 sheet pad sander? Id use my
handheld electric planer to quickly remove a minimal amount then my 4"
wide belt sander, but I have done alot of this. A planer will ruin
wood if you are not carefull and cant finish it completely. A planer
would be to quickly remove a bit of damaged wood. Practice on scrap ,
first to see how it cuts, it may not even have the blades set to level
and may gouge one side or the may be dull and burn it black. A hand
electric planer can burn wood black if you are not familiar with it,
and chip off the end of the board and gouge all over the place and
throw a mess of chips, a belt sander has more control and will finish
the job smooth and level, you will need maybe 50-80-120g, all three.
Planers take learning, sanders are more forgiving and easier to
master.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Post this on rec.woodworking for more ideas. FWIW, you need to read
your manual on the table saw, especially the part about setting the
fence and the table square and parallel to the blade. Good luck.

Joe